- LNP Media Group and LancasterOnline: McCaskey grad writes fantasy novel aimed at middle-grade kids. (by Jon Ferguson, April 2017) – When Cathy Hartley was writing her first novel, she sought advice from the toughest panel of critics she could find — 12-year-old boys. The boys, led by her son, C.J., didn’t disappoint. They were more than happy to point out parts of the book that were boring or confusing. And Hartley did not dismiss their complaints or suggestions. read more
- myCentralJeresy.com (part of the USA Today Network): Califon author’s ‘Primal Key’ unlocks love of reading. (April 2017) – Catherine Hartley has enjoyed writing since fifth grade. And she has been passionate about history and art for a long time. read more
- Local author Catherine Hartley with Morning Mike from WRNJ Radio, Inc. (Mar. 2017) read more
- Lisa Haselton’s Reviews and Interviews: Interview with middle grade author Cathy Hartley. (Mar. 2017)
- The Hunterdon Review: Tewksbury author creates fantasy trilogy for middle schoolers. (Feb. 2017) TEWKSBURY TWP. – Catherine Hartley has drawn on her childhood love of the sagas “A Wrinkle in Time” and “The Lord of the Rings” to create her own, authentic fantasy trilogy for young people in the “middle grade” ages of 9 to 14 years. read more
- Interview with John B. Valeri (because well-read is well-bred): Fantasy & Fact: C.A. Hartley on ‘The Primal Key’ (Q&A). (Feb. 2017) Today, I’m in cyber conversation with Cathy (C.A.) Hartley. Cathy is the author of The Primal Key: The Plight of the Plexus (Styxers Entertainment)—the first book in The Primal Key series for middle-grade readers. Despite having dyslexia, she developed a voracious love of storytelling and, eventually, books. Her interests include art history, the mysteries of the universe, and fantasy. Cathy practices Kung Fu and Qigong, and credits her son with keeping her young in body and spirit. She and her family make their home in New Jersey. read more
- The Hunterdon County News: Califon, NJ writer debuts her first middle grade fantasy novel. (Feb. 2017) Anne Clarke didn’t mean to mess with Alex’s destiny or place the family in danger. She just wanted a peak inside the box—the one Mom insisted she leave alone. Little did she know she was about to trigger the journey of a lifetime. read more
Are you a budding writer but are not sure how to begin? Local author Cathy Hartley will discuss the inspiration and process behind writing her middle grade/young adult fantasy novel The Primal Key: Plight of the Plexus Volume 1. She will also provide tips on research and setting, and how both can add depth to your story. With Cathy, young writers will receive tips and inspiration that will motivate them to start writing.
Meet author C.A. Hartley for a discussion, reading and book signing of her debut fantasy middle grade novel, THE PRIMAL KEY: Volume 1 of The Plight of the Plexus. Anne Clark didn’t mean to mess with her twin brother’s destiny – all she wanted was to find out why Mother insisted she leave a storage box alone. Little does she know she is about to trigger the journey of a lifetime.
Indie Author Day is an annual event that will be happening in almost 300 libraries across the U.S. and Canada. This is an opportunity for the indie community to come together in the library to help local authors get discovered and for readers to find great new books from local writers. Beyond the inaugural event that will be happening on October 8th, 2016, the Indie Author Day community will offer programming on the indieauthorday.com website to help libraries and authors stay connected throughout the year.